Sunday, November 06, 2005

Bright Colors and Freezing Nights


Autumn upon St. Paul's Cemetary
Originally uploaded by tpl108.
Aside from the marvelous fall foliage, it's been a slow week in the grange. Had plans to pull up the tomatoes and clean out the containers, but those were dashed given how busy I've been.

Last weekend, we harvested just about all of the lettuce and spinach and had a huge salad of mixed greens. It was tasty as all get out. As an experienment, we left behind a few leaves to see if the plants would keep growing. Sure enough, the lettuce and spinach bounced back and will probably provide at least one more salad.

Now that the season's just about over there are a few last items that need to be taken care of in order to put the garden to bed for winter. The garden bed needs to be weeded, the hoses taken in, tools put away, dead plants removed from containers, and finally, rinsing out old containers.

2 comments:

Dr. The Bird Man said...

Ted these are great pictures...what kind of camera are you using?

picturephoto said...

Hey -- I'm using the Canon Powershot A510, which I picked up in the spring. I must admit that the picture you commented on was punched up a bit using Picasa so it's not entirely the work of the camera.

What I like about the 510 are its manual controls. These really allowed me to underexposed the background in this picture and focus on the leaves.

Until the gardening season resumes I'm planning on posting some of my better photos every week or so.