Sunday, April 30, 2006

Getting a Jump on the Season: Grape Tomatoes, Day 1


Despite my landlord's inexorable march toward transforming my gardening space into full-time parking, the Frange defiantly welcomed its first tomato plant of the season. Oddly named a Grape Sweet Olive Tomato, this was one of the only tomato plants available at the nursery. It's way too early for tomatoes in New England, but the idea is that if the plant is brought indoors on cold nights, it will be able to get a jump on the traditional Memorial Day weekend starting time for tomatoes. Until things heat up, and evening temperatures begin to stay above the mid-40s, the plant will repair back to the warmth of my kitchen every night.

UPDATE: This plant performed quite well in a container. While not as prolific as other varieties, it was a solid producer. The fruit wasn't quite as olive shaped as expected, but they were'nt perfectly round, either. The flavor of the tomatoes was generally good but not spectacular. All in all, it tasted like a regular cherry tomato bought at a megamart. It didn't have the extra sweetness of other varieties like Super Sweet 100s.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sweet! Can Jessica and I come over and eat those super 1000's! I was just about to take the link off my site till I came here and saw activity. Good luck this growing season.