Monday, October 09, 2006

Steam Denotes my Success at Composting


steamy walk
Originally uploaded by elfis gallery.
Composting is great because it reduces waste and returns beneficial nutrients into your garden. Oh yeah, the whole thing runs on garbage, too. Unless it hatched baby seals and pandas, it'd be hard to find something more environmentally friendly.

None of these things interest me. Indeed, they are nice and I do get a warm hippie-crunchy-kashi-good-friends sort of feeling, all without having to vote or convert my car to run on the remains of chimichanga and french fry oil. But, I care about none of that. What gets me excited is the idea of getting my pile so hot that it would smoke.

Ignition. On one cold morning I turned the pile and it was smoking like Cheech and Chong at a glaucoma support group. This is really neat stuff. The pile is shrinking and steaming and I couldn't be more pleased with nature. Nature, you're back on my a-list, but you're a rainy day away from the b-list.

No comments: