Monday, August 01, 2005

After Being Lead Astray, Summer Squash Returns to the Flock (and Resumes Bountiful Ways)


Summer Squash - Day 70
Originally uploaded by tpl108.
The veritable Clydesdale of the gardening world, the squash keeps plugging along, faithful as ever. Whether it was the shot of penicillin in its butt or discovering Jesus, the plant appears to have finally overcome a rather persnickety bout of rot.

Went to the equivalent of an organic 7-11 today (think: tofurkey instead of slim jim) and saw some pitiful looking squash being sold for a $1.50 a pop. Yowsa! The store was a big yawn in that everything was overpriced and the clerks had more angst than a 1000 misunderstood teens at a Korn concert.

3 comments:

Dr. The Bird Man said...

Seriously, watch out for those little yellow beetles with the back spots. They have eaten two out of my last three squash. I spray caynne pepper juice three times a day. Also I like to catch them and either squish them in my hands of feed them to the spiders in my back yard.

picturephoto said...

Just when I think my squash is doing well, the ENTIRE PLANT dies. It look like some beetle or fungus attacked the plant at its very base, killing it. It's kind of a shame because as I wrote earlier, the plant was finally coming around and had set something like 10 squash in a week.

Dr. The Bird Man said...

It sounds like the same little shits that are getting mine. My reseach tells me that the Spotted Cucumber beetle attack squash with tremendous vigor. The larvae live in the roots and stem and often kill the plants by spreading some kind of virus while the adults attack the leaves, blossoms and the fruit. The larvae are definitely attacking my plant but not eough to kill it, just slow it down. I've only gotten 4 squash all summer. Sorry about your sudden problems, I wasn't trying to jinx you, just warn you. Gardening is so emotional.