Thursday, August 11, 2005

Fun with Backyard Insects: Tomato Hornworm



The tomato hornworm, which blossoms into the ever so lovely five-spotted hawk moth, is the largest caterpillar found in these here parts. If this thing got any bigger I'd have to throw a leash on it and toss it a Frisbee.

Some people love these critters so much they'll even eat them for dinner. Remember folks, "[take] care not to rupture the cuticles of each insect under high heat." Doing so just might uncork a whole mess of tasty odors. See more photos here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Granger,

I tasted some of dem tomaters, real juicy like. 'Lest I's a hopen it was a tomater and not one of 'em five-spotted hawk moth's. Reckon thems mighty juicy too though.

Dr. The Bird Man said...

I found one of these monsters on my tomatillo plant...I think it was lost. I removed it and put it on a night shade plant gowing accross the yard. It chowed for a few more days, but I can't find it any more. I was hoping to get some of those Paracitoid WASPS...quasi predatory/paracitic protestants are my Favorite.